Sunday, May 23, 2010

90 Degrees In May!

So - it's May, it's Chicago, it's Sunday, and it's 90 degrees outside!  WTF!

Well -for my family, this can only mean one thing........ BEACH DAY!


So, yes.  The air was 90, the sand was 88, and Lake Michigan was a frigid 33!  But did that stop my little barbarians?  Noooooo.  They jumped right in, dove under, and splashed everyone within a 50 foot radius.  They forced their father into the lake with threats of rocks to the skull, and whooped out their cries of victory upon their success!

They ran to the top of the biggest sand dunes - disappeared over the peak - and reappeared moments later, running full speed from some spot miles down the shore.  They ran up to me, delivering a fistful of wildflowers they had picked (I keep receiving pilfered flowers, ever since my obvious Mother's Day disappointment), and shot right back into the icy lake - laughing, screaming, and showing off their aquatic skills.

I, on the other hand, have my own way of enjoying the beach.  In addition to smiling while watching my elated children run wild like their natural savage selves, I love to unwind at the beach.  There is something about the warmth of the sun combined with the body forming ability of the sand and the sound of the waves gently tickling the shore that lulls me into a state of total relaxation.  That is, until a wet icy child decides to give me a hug and a kiss before running away laughing.  It's shocking having that sudden icyness against my hot skin- but it can't make me angry - because everything is as it should be.

I have talked to people who say they don't like going to the beach.  They don't like trudging along carrying all their supplies, they don't like sand getting into everything, they don't like the mess and laundry when they get back home.  I don't know, though.  For me - these are the best days of my life.

1 comment: