Monday, May 10, 2010

Water Water Water

Once, I got a massage.  The masseuse told me that I was dehydrated and that I should be drinking one oz of water per day for every pound of body weight.  I said "You mean my body weight?"  The massage was ruined from that point forward because I spent my entire time on the table trying to figure out exactly how much water that would be.  I'm not going to tell you exactly how much, but let's just say it's a lot. A whole lot. Considering I have been hearing 64 oz total for years, and I don't know any 64 pound adults, that's a lot of water.
Illustration of all three Thirstin graphics per grade level (k-3) (4-8) (9-12)

Still, getting in my full 64 oz of water per day is still a stretch.  Actually, I meet a lot of people who have a tough time with this particular guideline.  But, why?  Why do we have such a hard time with getting all of our water in each day?

Well, I've been asking around, and there seems to be two major reasons - one is that some people simply don't like water.  I am not in this group, because it is a very strange sentiment in my opinion.  What's not to like about water?  But, some people describe feeling like they are going to choke or vomit when they try to drink water.
Darwin Bell on Flickr
Another reason is that water tends to come out soon after it goes in.  This one I can comprehend.  have you ever seen a little kid who waits until the last minute before using the bathroom - playing a game, legs crossed, bouncing up and down with that look of intense concentration on their face?  Well, I haven't grown out of that yet.  I still hate to be interrupted by the call of nature.  It's the one thing I can't force my annoying husband to do for me. I can't I tell my kids to do it for me.  I can't even pay someone to do it for me.

Here's the other problem.  When I drink all of my water, I am forced to use bathrooms all over my place of employment.  I mean in all of the different washrooms at my place of employment.  I don't want anyone to see me use the same washroom that often - they might start to think I'm on drugs or a pervert - or worse.  So, yeah, it's easier to just avoid the water.


That's Me!

Still - the benefits of water are numerous.  Here are a few statistics:




  • 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.




  • In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.




  • Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.




  • One glass of water successfully shut down midnight hunger pains for almost 100% of the dieters in a University of Washington research study




  • Many people mistake thirst for hunger - leading to weight gain.






  • So, even though it may lead to more interruptions in my daily life, and even though it may cause fabricated rumors at my place of employment, my healthy change for the week will be to drink all of my water each day.  Not the idiotic amount the dumb masseuse was going on and on about, but the 64 oz everyone else talks about.



    Here's a few tips for getting in all your water:


    Between alcoholic drinks, consume a glass of water (that should take care of it for most of the people I know)
    Use Dixie cups like shot glasses and fill them with water instead of whiskey (three shots equals one glass)
    Drink water out of a straw
    Keep water with you at all times
    Add lemon or lime to your water
    Add ice to your water
    If you rally can't stand the taste of water - talk to your doctor about an IV drip.
    If you really can't stand using the bathroom, talk to your doctor about a catheter (that's probably what I am going to do).


    I Hate Water
    I Hate Water!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment