Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dumbest Weight Loss Tip Ever

I went to a weight watchers meeting this morning - and dun dun dun - I lost 6.4 pounds for a total of 10 pounds since I started this blog.  OK OK, thank you, you can stop the applause, I know, I know - thank you.  

GONE!
Yep - I'm a loser!

Anyway - at this meeting - I heard about the stupidest weight loss tip of my entire life.  Here it is - when you get a salad, order the dressing on the side and DON"T PUT IT ON THE SALAD!  Instead, dip your fork (you understood me, I said fork, not spoon, not ladle, but fork) into the dressing, let all that creamy deliciousness drip back off the fork into the bowl of dressing, then use said fork to spear a bunch of greens, and eat it.  That' s it. Pretty dumb, huh?



But, this idiotic tip did remind me of one of the most horrible, terrifying experiences of my life.  You see, I went to Corner Bakery - and being the health conscious woman you know I am, I decided to order a salad (you know the punch line if this ever happened to you).  I perused the salad choices and went with the harvest salad - yum!  It had mixed greens, sliced pears, sliced apples, walnuts and bleu cheese all topped with a perfectly matched balsamic vinaigrette. Healthy and delicious, right?


Then later - only so that I could continue to pat myself on the back for being the epitome of health in the face of all those fattening corner bakery sandwiches and desserts - I went on-line to check out the nutrition information.  This is what I found:

Nutrition Facts



Serving Size 1 serving








Amount Per Serving




Calories
980
Calories from Fat
648




% Daily Value*




Total Fat
72.0g
111%




Sodium
1460mg
61%




Total Carbohydrates
53.0g
18%




Dietary Fiber
10.0g
40%




Protein
37.0g













WHAT? You see that?  980 calories and a whopping 72 grams of fat.  WTF?  I could have had a huge cheeseburger and french fries.  So much for a healthy day.

So, soon after that I went to Panera.  You see Panera and Corner Bakery are two completely different things.    I figured I was pretty safe with Panera, they're healthy, right?  This time I ordered the Fugi Apple Salad, a personal favorite.  I gobbled it down and walked out with a bounce in my step,  feeling light and fit.  



I looked this one up, too - and I was right, it was healthier.  This one only has 520 calories and 31 grams of fat.  This means cheeseburger, but no fries.  

So, who knows, maybe the stupid fork thing is worth while.  Supposedly, you get the low calories, high fiber, and vitamins found in fresh greens, plus enough dressing flavor to make it taste good, without all those fat and calories from the dressing (I guess you have to lose the nuts and cheese, too, though - that's a bummer).  

I guess I'm willing to try it - I've been wrong before (don't tell my husband I said that, please).  Who knows - maybe I'll like plain lettuce with the microscopic drop of dressing.  Maybe.

Guess I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. That tip is right up there with cauliflower potatoes!! The way I see it, whatever works as long as you're not hungry. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete