Monday, May 17, 2010

The Eating Guidelines

Yes, it's true - I'm back on the book again.  This time, though, I am less depressing than I was the other times.

In her book, "Women, Food and God," Geneen Roth spells out seven eating guidelines that will help any person overcome compulsive eating:
Healthy Eating 365

  1. Eat when you are hungry.
  2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment.  This does not include the car.Eat without distractions.  Distractions include radio, television, newspapers, books, intense or anxiety-producing conversations or music.
  3. Eat what your body wants.
  4. Eat until you are satisfied.
  5. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
  6. Eat with enjoyment, gusto and pleasure.
Quite a few of these seem difficult as far as I am concerned, but I said I was going to make one healthy change per week - so I am going to try to tackle these Eating Guidelines!

O.K., back to reality.  You were probably impressed that I was going to tackle ALL of these Eating Guidelines at one time - but, no.  Actually I think I will start with number 5.  Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.

I am going to start this off like an AA meeting.  I admit to being a food sneak.  It is true - I eat food (usually junk food) when I know nobody is around to see me.  
A furtive hand steals away some food.
I can definitely blame this one on my kids.  The practice of food sneaking (although it was a habit of my childhood) became a well honed art during the past 17 years of motherhood.  I think it all started with cookie dough......

Long long ago when my oldest son was only two years old, I was told that raw cookie dough was dangerous because of the eggs in the batter.  For this reason, due to my strong motherly instinct to keep my baby safe and healthy, I told little Steven that he could not eat the dough before it was cooked.  However - when Steven wasn't looking - I ate the cookie dough myself.
A few years later, my Elijah came along.  Elijah LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEDDDDDD sweets.  In an effort to ensure his optimal health, I began limiting the amount of sugar he was allowed to consume.  For instance - I only let him have two Oreo cookies.  However - when Elijah wasn't looking - I ate six Oreo cookies myself.
The Ultimate Oreo Cookie
This pattern of sneaking treats has continued through two more children - but has progressed to include adults as well.  You see, I have had several diet partners over the years - and because I wanted them to think I was sticking to the plan we had laid out together - I would wait for them to be looking the other way before partaking in dessert.  I would hide m&m's in my purse, taking them out only when alone rather than being caught with them.  I would hide snacks in a closet - and escape to the back of the house so I could fill my cheeks with Ho-Ho's.   I would refuse cake at a party, only to wait until I was alone in the kitchen and stuff it down my throat.   

I sound like a drug addict, don't I?  Well, I suppose I am in a way - only food is the drug (as Geneen would say).  


So, from now on, whatever I am eating, for good or for bad, I will eat publicly.  Plus, if there is something I feel I can only eat in concealment, I guess I wont eat it.  

So, that is this week's healthy change.  No more food sneaking.  No more hidden snacks.  No more food lies, or food embarrassment.  If I am going to pig out, I will be a public pig.  

Funny Picture Of Woman Eating Pizza Royalty Free Stock Image


1 comment:

  1. The first step is admitting you are powerless! Good job!

    ReplyDelete